Thursday, April 23, 2009

April 18 2009 - Goshen Swamp

Saturday found me back in Goshen.
Remember to click the image for full size.
This time in a kayak and also putting in on the western edge. This downstream run skirts a cutover, but heads into the main area of the swamp. Again, I was only able to penetrate .33 miles before running into a logfall. I didn't want to raise a ruckus cutting the log, so I sat still a bit and listened and then paddled back upstream. As you can see on the map, I still have lots of swamp to cover. The blue line is my GPS-recorded track.


Lots of cavities were observed, including one newly created high up in a dead tree. This cavity appears quite large, but without a measuring tool, I can't say how large.


The proto warblers were everywhere and so were the snakes. I almost paddled into a cottonmouth coiled in a branch in the middle of the run. But, I saw him in time to avoid him. Pileateds, hairys, red-bellieds, and downys were heard. This trip, I also had my recorder going the whole time. My recorder is a Zoom H2. I was recording in uncompressed WAV format, but until I get a johnny bar for the kayak, the recorder was lying on its side in my deck bag. This muffled the sound a bit. I'm saying this as a preface for the double knock I recorded. At the time, there was no wind, and no cars on the road where we put in. This, of course, isn't definitive evidence, but it is intriguing nonetheless. Here is the recording. The DK is 5 seconds in. Tell me what you think in the comments section.

No comments: