Monday, September 03, 2007

Kents and Double Knocks on the Choc

I can't be out there in the swamps as much as I'd like to, and my ARU's aren't quite ready for deployment. So to better maximize my time in the field, I took all the sounds on Dan Mennill's IBWO page and entered them in a Excel spreadsheet to chart them. Now, let me say up front, I didn't examine the sounds first to see what they were, nor do I know which ARU's they came from. I was just looking for the times of occurrences. I wanted to get an idea of the best times to hear "something".

Each chart can be clicked to see it bigger.





One more thing to note is I didn't factor in the shift in sunrise and sunset times either. All that being said, looking at the chart, 9am to 11 am looks pretty good for kent calls, and 6am to 9:30am looks good for double knocks with another window from 3:30pm to 5pm. Interesting stuff. I knew the sounds would be primarily in the mornings and evenings, but it's interesting to see them occurring at other times.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Graphs like this should be done in 1/2 hour increments starting with 1/2 hour before sunset. See the British Columbia PIWO study ~2002.

It should be a bar graph with the times across the bottom and the number on the vertical axis.

The way you have done this is difficult to interpret anything without looking at slopes...its very user unfriendly.

Anonymous said...

This is graphed in a way that says there are for example 106 DKs at 1600 and is therefore not done correctly and clearly if you want to show what time interval has the most DKs.

The graph should not summate sounds.

tks FS