Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Waccamaw River Headwaters

I finally put in on the headwaters of the Waccamaw April 30th. I was in the canoe this time since it's a major bear to portage with the kayak. I had the trusty bowsaw with me to clear out the little stuff I was sure to encounter. The river starts as a tiny creek from a spillway at the southern end of Lake Waccamaw. It's a beautiful paddle, since it's not traveled much and the swamp forest is thick. We started portaging right away. Ugh. This is going to be a tricky river to check out. I do think I can get to some other stands of trees via IP road though. There are a ton of trees down since the last hurricanes. On one portage, I walked in the woods a bit and saw that all the downed wood was totally covered with a carpet of bright green moss. It was beautiful. It looked like something you would expect to see in the Pacific Northwest. There was some sawn cypress there and god knows how long ago it was cut. I didn't quite make it into the heart of the swamp area there yet, but I came close. I also saw some decent high ground to camp on. As long as the mosquitoes in there don't carry you off in your tent....

1 comment:

tony hensley said...

Have you been very far down the river? I want to paddle down river starting from the lake, any info you can give will be helpful. If you know any take outs ect. thanks