Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Cypress Creek Trees

I headed out to Cypress Creek again to check out the scaled trees there now that I know what to look for. Cypress Creek is very near to Angola Bay GL which is another potential IBWO habitat. CC empties into the NE Cape Fear, which borders one side of the ABGL. I found some very interesting marks on the trees there. It was getting dark, so I'll have to go back again, but I did find a perfect gouge that measured 6.4 mm. This tree isn't covered in gouges, but it does have quite a few of them as well as pileated-looking holes and cavities. There are two other nearby trees to examine as well. All these are within 50 yards of a paved road. The site is totally overloaded with deer ticks though. It's like a Lyme Disease bonanza in there.

I'll post some better pictures when I get out there again. I want to put a camera on that tree. At the very least, I'll get some good PIWO shots.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're doing great! I advise that you go deeper into the woods. Way way back in there. Keep up the good work. Just keep measuring everything!! Twice, if possible!!

Anonymous said...

Interesting site. I spent a summer hacking my way around the Green Swamp a number of years ago, and I really fell in love with the place.

I always assumed ivory-billeds were essentially restricted to bottomland old-growth hardwoods, of which there obviously isn't much in the Swamp proper. Is there any evidence that they bred or even used (what I presume are) very suboptimal sites such as pocosin, pond pine woodland, bay forests, or white cedar forests? Not a criticism -- I just don't know very much about the subject.

Anyway, even if this is what others might consider a fool's errand, any excuse to go traipsing around there is a good excuse, in my book!

Cheers,
Steve K.